View Single Post
Old
08-31-2013, 01:18 AM
gravey9

vCash: 500
Some people on here need a serious reality check when it comes to Michael Del Zotto. He scored 41 points in 77 games in 11-12. He had 10 goals. He was a +20 for crying out loud. He had 10 points in 20 playoff games in that run to the semis.

Last year his numbers were only a bit off of that pace. But so were most of the team's. Still, DZ averaged just under .5 points a game. Which is very solid for a Defenseman. He more than doubled Anton Stralman's production and yet you look at the stralman thread compared to this thread and you'd think Stralman is leagues ahead of DZ.

There is no reason for MDZ to become a whipping boy around here. Is he a great offensive defenseman? Will he ever be an all-star? I don't know. It's possible that what we saw in 11-12 was a version of his ceiling.

The point here is, you cannot argue that he has been our best defenseman offensively since he got here.

Look at McDonagh's numbers. They're pretty good, but they're not as good as Del Zottos. I'm in no way suggesting McDonagh isn't a better hockey player than DZ. Not at all. But to call him bad, to call him trade bait. I think that's a bit unfair.

Del Zotto's defensive game got better every year under Torts. Is he perfect? No. But he's not Wade Redden. He's not Tom Poti. Realistically, he's James Patrick. Or pretty darn close. Numbers at the same age are comparable. Was Jeep an all-star? Never. But he played 20 years in the league. And put up some good numbers in his mid-late 20s. And no, Dylan McIlrath in no way replaces MDZ. Two different skill sets.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote