View Single Post
Old
08-31-2013, 02:31 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I cant believe people are talking about Lafleur & Clarke as being the best forwards on that 76 team. It was easily 37 year old Bobby Hull. The stats show it and he was great in every aspect of the game. Physically took Salming out of the Sweden game and was brilliant both offensively & defensively. Next best was Perreault who replaced Espo on the Hull line. Can't believe how little credit Hull gets for his performance.
Who has done that? I just said - responding to Big Phil - that IMO Clarke was very good in two key games of the tournament (CAN vs. USSR and the 2nd final; scoring/assisting key goals), and that Clarke was never a big stats guy anyway. Other than that, his main contribution probably was that he was the captain/leader. And I certainly haven't indicated that Lafleur was among the best forwards in the '76 CC; rather that he was a disappointment, since he arguably was the best forward in the world at the time (you may disagree).

To me the best forward in the tournament was Gilbert Perreault, end of story, and then it's Hull and the rest.

Edit:
As far as Hull should be getting more credit goes, well, that's fair enough.

Last edited by VMBM: 08-31-2013 at 03:17 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote