View Single Post
Old
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Say what? Never heard this one before BP. He was born in 42 so your suggesting he worked in a steel mill every summer until 1972 after winning 2 SC's with Boston? I know his first job was with Algoma Steel up there in the Soo but how is that even remotely possible, the leagues then leading scorer by 72, Captain of the Bruins, leading scorer of the league by then and for several years.... are you sure your not thinking he mightve returned the Soo from his stints in the minors & maybe for a few seasons with Chicago earlier on? That would make sense. But through til 72? Like he went from Algoma Steel to Team Canada? I dont think so Big Guy.
http://en.rian.ru/sports/20120224/171490868.html

I know I saw it in a Legends of Hockey interview but he says it in this interview as well. In 1971 he made $18,000 in the NHL. According to that interview he still worked that summer. Imagine, Phil Esposito, owner of the single season goals and points record working at a steel mill in the summer of 1971.

By 1972 the salaries practically tripled and Phil and Tony were going to have a hockey camp up in the Soo that summer until Esposito convinced him to play in the Summit Series. So I guess he still would have worked that summer. But after 1972, he didn't have to.

So yeah, up until 40 years ago the players worked in the summer. Phil Esposito was doing it, so you know the common player would have been too.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote