View Single Post
Old
08-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Who has done that? I just said - responding to Big Phil - that IMO Clarke was very good in two key games of the tournament (CAN vs. USSR and the 2nd final; scoring/assisting key goals), and that Clarke was never a big stats guy anyway. Other than that, his main contribution probably was that he was the captain/leader. And I certainly haven't indicated that Lafleur was among the best forwards in the '76 CC; rather that he was a disappointment, since he arguably was the best forward in the world at the time (you may disagree).

To me the best forward in the tournament was Gilbert Perreault, end of story, and then it's Hull and the rest.

Edit:
As far as Hull should be getting more credit goes, well, that's fair enough.
I agree with this. I'll say Perreault is the best forward during that tournament. Followed by Hull. Just my own eye witness account after watching all the games. Perreault looked like he was having fun out there. But this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that Hull never gets credit for his play in this tourny. He certainly did play well.

After Perreault and Hull, probably Sittler stood out the most. But with that team it was hard to stand out. They rolled 4 lines rather well, the best scorer had 9 points and it was Orr/Potvin. It wasn't as if someone was getting all the minutes on that team. I think it is fair to say that Clarke and Lafleur have played better than in the 1976 Canada Cup, but neither played poor either, just good enough.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote