View Single Post
Old
08-31-2013, 02:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
This is what makes me think Mantha might have more compete than people think. Hes a first round pick that goes out and fights a legit Q fighter in a 5-0 loss. He had five fights last year. If you can get him fired up he clearly is willing to fight and gets competitive in that sense, makes me think he'll have some more fire than people give him credit for
I don't know that this is significantly different than when he is on in that sense though Newfy. His problem is consistent compete level. I certainly don't think it is totally devoid, but it isn't there shift to shift or more alarmingly last year for entire periods or games. Having heard that knock though and watch himself fall in the draft longer than he should have I think there will be a huge uptick in it and he has addressed this issue in all of his interviews.

The fighting part is interesting especially where we expect his size to eventually be. Would like to see him become less of a perimeter player so going inside and coming up swinging occasionally will probably help with that evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Small(ish), poor D, not very fast considering his size. Production was ok but not exceptional, and I think he's production increased after he got traded to Belleville who have larger ice surface on their home arena. That helps players like Quine.

And kind of low on the depth chart.

I think Wings could have signed him if there were more contract spots available, but it was/is pretty tight there.
Quine is an explosive skater, was one of the best in the entire system. I think what did him in was the contract situation and the organizational faith in Glendening. Unless Sheahan comes on like gangbusters or Andersson's skating continues to progress in a big way, we are loaded with center depth. As is Ferraro is likely heading out to the wing and has skating and offensive ability.

By the way what we don't know is maybe Quine himself wanted to go back into the draft, we didn't get much of an update on why they didn't come to a contract. Occasionally it is the player himself, but speed was not an issue.