View Single Post
Old
09-01-2013, 11:50 AM
BadgerBruce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I didnt realize but Larry Robinson did not get a pts in whole series and in 81 canada cup only had 1 assist.1n 14 games only 1 assist.Now Larry is a great player but surprised by his pts total.Look at Potvin his numbers were very impressive in both series
Keeping this discussion on 76 rather than future TC incarnations, the "Robinson case" is interesting.

Bowman began with Orr and Potvin paired together, but split them up (other than pp and pk) by game 3. From that point on, each played almost 1/2 the game, with Lapointe, Savard and Robinson rotating in as partners. The strategy was effective; who wouldn't want one of these two outstanding d-men on the ice at all times? But Robinson seemed to draw the short straw and his ice time was less than his Habs teammates. Though Jimmy Watson and Vandnais were on the roster, I don't remember either on the ice for even a single shift. Not one. This was 5-man D-corps, and often just 4. Perhaps this would not have been the case if Brad Park had been healthy enough to participate. Who knows.

At any rate, Robinson played aggressively when he saw the ice and, IMHO, was dependable. But his opportunities were limited, clearly by design, and he was a complete non-factor offensively.

And btw, I did see the complete series on television when it took place, but recently acquired the DVD package to enjoy the series once again. Best $9.99 I've dropped in ages!

BadgerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote