View Single Post
Old
09-02-2013, 02:16 AM
feffan

vCash: 500
His stick-poking and most of alla his brain sure ranks among the very best to ever play the game.

It obviosly depends on how hard you are by judging someone as generational or not. Some people want to find the best in every generation and call that "generational talent". Some like to just call the absolute elite generational.

In my eyes the generational players are Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky and Hasek. Players who left their competition behind with great distance. Lindros should have been there and Roy can be argued. Can´t really give my take on players from the 60´s and earlier...

Lidström is probably one of the ten best players ever and can be argued the second best defenceman (is garanteed top 5...). Belongs in a group of maybe 30 players who are one step below. He didn´t stick out from the greatest of his generation that I would expect from a generational talent. The kind of talent you would like to trade your whole team for.

So, no from me. If he´s generational, so are Potvin, Borque, Chelios and a few more on D alone.

And to add, I don´t think there´s any generational talent in the NHL today. You have a group of elite players with Malkin, Ovechking, Crosby and a couple more who on any given night are even. None of them seperate themselves from the pack as I would expect from a generational talent.