View Single Post
Old
09-02-2013, 11:12 AM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Agree. Theres room for both MDZ and Stralman on this team. Stralman is a great 3 pair D so can play 15 slightly protected minutes every night and who can step into a top 4 role when called on from time to time. Dont know why people are down on him, hes done exactly what yhe team has required from him. And no im not Swedish.
I'm not down on him. I think he's an excellent 3rd pairing guy, much better in fact than any of the 3rd pairing guys we've had for a LONG time. I just don't see much more than that, and I am wary of trying to make him into something he's never been (top 4 D) based on what I've seen.

This board has a tendency to almost randomly select some players for sainthood and others for demonization. If the name on the sweater is Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Girardi, etc--they could score a triple hat trick and you would still have guys in here griping about their skating technique in the post game thread. If the name on the sweater is Callahan, McDonagh, or Stralman, they could have the worst game of their career, and people would be in here going on about their passion.

I prefer to look at players for what they are, rather than how the board wants to characterize them. Cally is a great 2nd line wing, not a 1st. Stralman is a great 3rd pair D, not a 2nd. McDonagh happens to be as awesome as people make him out to be . Making people into something they aren't only leads to disappointment when they prove that they can't meet the lofty (and unfair) expectations that you've set on them.

smoneil is online now   Reply With Quote