View Single Post
Old
09-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
I don't think this was a good deal, but I don't think it was a terrible one either. Crawford was going to get 5M per, whether it was in Chicago or somewhere else.

Crawford had to get more than Jimmy Howard and Mike Smith, who make 5.2M and 5.6M respectively, and the deal Rask just got helped Crawford's agents case as well. I don't think Crawford is better than Rask, but he did out-perform him in the Final and Rask just signed an 8-year, 7M contract.

At the end of the day, I'd be far more comfortable with Crawford at 5M per. But given what other goaltenders have received this year, and given what Crawford did this past season, it would have been a dangerous game for Chicago to "wait out" his contract extension. They could "hope" that Crawford gets off to an average/meh start, and try to get an extension done in-season, "knowing" that he was better than the start he had - but if their offer was too low, Crawford could wait it out as well and see what he could get in free-agency. If Crawford were to get off to an outstanding start (2.00GAA, .920+Sv%), that would only continue to drive his value up, making it more difficult for Chicago to retain him and more likely that Crawford would go to free-agency.

Now, some would say, "fine, let him go, bring up Raanta or another goaltender".. and maybe Raantta pans out, and maybe he doesn't, but the Hawks know they can win a Cup playing in front of Crawford. This team has learned how to play in front of him. If they can keep that going, that's what they should be after.
HockeySensible with a post that is just that; sensible. Well said.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote