View Single Post
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Kyle McMahon
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I don't think it will ever be the same anymore. With this generation of kids burying their noses in their cell phones, texting while they walk and having no attention span, I can't see that hobby ever picking up the way it used to be again.
The card companies are to blame for that IMO. The cost of a pack of hockey cards is prohibitive to most kids now and has been for nearly 20 years in fact. Before Upper Deck entered the market you could get a pack of 15 cards for less than $1. That all changed in the 90's. By the time I was in that 10-15 year old age range where collecting is a lot of fun you were looking at $2.50 for 10 cards, that was the very cheapest set. Of course you also had lots of stuff that was much more expensive than that.

I was big into collecting back in the late 90's/early 00's, and probably spent pretty much my entire income on it. My income consisting of allowance and birthday money from Grandma in those days of course. Most kids aren't going to make that commitment, and I don't blame them. Not sure what the market is like now, haven't really collected in 10 years, but I assume it remains much more of a business than a hobby, which is unfortunate.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote