View Single Post
Old
09-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
My Dad brought home a pair of CCM Tacks for me, that he found on clearance, in 1956, for $22.00.
Ya you could actually find new Tacks and or factory seconds cheap, Church & School equipment exchanges as well before the huge discount retailers appeared on the scene in the late 60's & early 70's. I had a pair of CCM Tacks Goalie Skates that I grew out of, then Bauers that were one size too big which I preferred as a slapshot on a toe save off the side could hurt if your goalie skate was tight. That little bit of extra room providing better protection & stability.... for hacking around shinny, had a pair of Adidas tube skates, the first lot brought in to Canada late 60's. No one wanted them, so they were deeply discounted to like $19.95 from $99+ originally, and frankly, quite excellent skates from what I can recall of them. So ya, if you hunt, could find some incredible deals... Got those Adidas Skates at the very first Collegiate Sports Store in Toronto, which went on to have stores all over the place through the 70's-80's & I believe 90's, followed by SportChek & other Big Box retailers. Carl Brewer as well had an interest in a hockey stick shop, thats all the store sold, not far from where I grew up. He'd begun importing Koho's into North America, this shop carrying Koho's, Torspos' & Montreal Surprise sticks. Everywhere else limited to Sher-Wood, CCM, Hespeler, Victoriaville, Sherbrooke & of course Wallys' which were bought out by Louisville Slugger late 60's & for a time through the 70's on a very popular brand. To this day even though I havent skated in over 25yrs and no kids playing get a kick out of snooping around hockey shops, checking out the latest.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote