Thread: German Leagues
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benderkyle View Post
Any comparison for the 4th division? A last name such as Bender.. how could they turn me down? It's german!
Maybe they were worried you'd spend all their money on blackjack and hookers.

If by "4th division" you mean "Regionalliga", then you should know that there are only 3 spots per team available to non-Germans. Managers are probably wary of risking one of those with someone they have never heard of before.

As for North Americans in the German minor leagues, I'd describe it like this:

2. Bundesliga: Some AHL players, many good ECHLers, some UHL or CHL, and some out of the NCAA (Div. I). One of the top forwards of the past two seasons, Eric Schneider, was a sniper in the ECHL with some AHL experience before he came over. So that's probably where the league's clubs are searching for players in the off-season. And there's even an ex-NHLer and former Coyotes' 1st round pick playing goal on my home team. *g*

Oberliga: mainly ECHL and lower minor leagues, some college grads from NCAA Div. I or III or even the CIS. Some North Americans get there via England, Denmark, Italy or some other lower-level European league. If you're good, you may get a contract in the 2. BL after that. It's easier than making the jump from 2. BL to DEL imo.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote