Old
09-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
So you preferred the defense by committee of Gervais, Huskins and Foster to make up for Carle's minutes last season? You also believe Streit is a better option even if his D isn't exactly anything better than Carle and he is older and has a contract that is not that great either?

Whether or not you thought he wasn't worth signing in the long run (especially at market price that Tampa gave him) doesn't change the fact that he would have been far more effective at the least than that trifecta of fail last season...

Now if Streit matches or beats Carle this season and beyond which some may expect then this argument becomes a moot point of sorts.

Again..I was by far not his biggest fan either but I just don't understand the total hate for the dude so much so that people actually thought that those 3 losers we had to fill his void with were a better option..yeah maybe to miss the playoffs and assure us a high draft pick....that I will agree with.

BTW..as far as the Tampa fans lamentations..again that was based more on his pricey contract and terms that Tampa gave him..kind of similar to Bryz. He still was their minutes leader although some will say that was a problem in and of itself and maybe the coach getting fired attested to that......again I think Carle gets way too much scrutiny. He is a good player but yeah his market price that Holmgren allowed to happen ultimately made him not worth it but it did come at a cost to the Flyers last season at least despite what some people think...
Would he have truly been more effective though? He's good at the initial pass. After that he's a liability. On defense he plays soft and can't match up against tough competition, which is a liability in your minutes leader. If Matt Carle has the most minutes in your D corps, that indicates a team that has a problem. I'm ok with a transition year without him just to avoid overpaying him for years. I think the team is largely in the same situation with Carle last year, especially since a big part of the problem was Lavi's failure to fix the breakout plan or neutral zone movement...which you should recall became a problem while Carle was still here. Carle didn't help then, I don't see how he helps last year either.

As for Streit, while age is concerning as hell, he is far, far better as a PMD than Carle could ever hope to be. He's more complete offensively. Carle is effectively living off prestige built while Pronger propped him up. It's not going to last forever; hell, if anything that's begun to fade. Carle is strictly a complementary dman. He has no place as a go-to guy.