Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread
View Single Post
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Join Date: Aug 2012
South SBAAHL Predictions - Reposted
Just to give those who asked some info on South Bantam Teams.
I will comment on South as I know more about these teams.
1. Yorkton. Even without Kustra and Foster this will be the team to beat. They have very capable depth in 1999 age group, good goaltending with Geddes, very good on D with Stratechuk and Dubas – Good on forward with Carson Welke, Mackenzie Welke, and Budz plus in 2000 age group their team was the best team in the province last year and two years ago.
2. Weyburn Have eight returnees including forwards Deroose and Kesserling who led their team in scoring about a point a game, and Altwasser. On D they will be strong led by Niemengers and Englot. Also probably the best goalie in the south in Dosch.
3. Prairie Storm Always strong and were very good in Peewee winning Regina league. Also have a strong crop of 2000 players including Piller. Milligan will be missed but returning Tyson and Tanner Manz will be their scorers. Only one returning Dman in Ziegler so they have a question mark here and in goal.
4. Swift Current this team was big, and were much improved in their peewee year so I expect them to be a big team. They will be led by two returning forwards Hutchinson and Stephenson. Jace Dyke was a solid player for them and Hunter Lamb will also come in as a 2000 aged kid.
5. Estevan has four kids returning. They will be led by Dmen Pachal and Martins. On forward they have returning Skjonsby, and Davis. A top 2000 forward Fonstad will provide much needed scoring. In goal Veroba was one of the best in the south his peewee year.
6. Melville has 4 kids returning and will be very good on D with returning Johnson, Sass and Baber. Their problem will be scoring with only returnee being Holloway. And they have a question mark in goal. Top 2000 Rin Beny will help up front.
7. Moose Jaw The loss of Petruic is big for this team as he was counted on to do most of their scoring. They have Bryant and Bisson returning at forward. Douglas is a 2000 aged kid who will be counted on for some scoring. Question marks on D and in goal.
Regina is weak in the 1999 aged year and very strong in the 2000 aged year. A couple of the teams will be strong in goal with Johnson and Lumbard as two top goalies in the south. There were very few 1999 aged kids who made the Regina Bantam AA teams. Beatty and Ludwar on D and McDonlad and Chekay on Forward. That being said dropping down to three teams will help their overall depth. These teams will be in battle for final playoff spots.
Other than Yorkton none of these teams are real strong or as strong as some of the top teams in the South last year. Coaching and development can be a huge equalizer so we will see. Last year it shocked me to see the improvement made in all of the teams in this league and the league was extremely competitive top to bottom. I would expect to see the same thing occur this year and there are sure to be many welcomed surprises.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Superbowlfishca