View Single Post
Old
09-04-2013, 01:46 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Carle and Streit may be similar, but they're not close to being the same. Carle's strength (and pretty much his only strength) was moving the puck in transition. We definitely lacked that ability last season, but we also lacked much more than just that.

Streit will not only create offense through transition like Carle did, but he'll facilitate offense in the attacking zone like Carle rarely did. There is a difference (at least in my mind) between being a puck moving defenseman and being an offensive defenseman. Streit is the latter, and he should help out with generating a more balanced offensive attack. I think if Schenn or Couturier breaks out this season, Streit will be a major reason why. Carle may have helped us, but at the contract he got (and even the contract we could have had him for), he is not worth it. You can certainly argue the same for Streit, but I think putting money into Streit will be more beneficial than putting money into Carle.
Very good point. It's much easier to create offensively when you know that you have at least one defenseman behind you that's able to push the play. Obviously, if Schenn breaks out it's mostly because of chemistry with Lecavalier, but Streit could provide that push in transition the way Timonen often does. That will go a long way in helping the middle six enter the zone more cleanly. Opposing wingers will also hesitate more to collapse in the defensive zone knowing that one of Streit, Timonen, or Gus will be at the point at all times this year.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote