View Single Post
Old
09-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
I did read your post, but I don't understand your use of hyperbole there.

Is that his billing? I thought it was as power forward with all the tools. You're certainly right that no one claims he's a 3rd or 4th liner.

Maybe it's being a Columbus fan, but the view in the league seems to have always been that Nash is a superstar, which by definition is someone to build a team around (as Columbus tried to do). Based on that, he's seemed overrated to me for awhile now. At least he's not your captain like he was with us, because a leader he is not (unless you buy into the apologists' line that he's not a "vocal" leader).
He is a power forward, not all power forwards have mean streaks. Within each classification of player type there are sub categories that better describe players, a generalization usually leaves people questioning a player label. Need to delve deeper.

He's an easy scapegoat for Columbus fans, I get that and it's understandable. Nash is a star player, not a superstar, another false classification. Maybe it has something to do with fans having too high of expectations? I don't know but he's certainly an above average player (substantially so, in most regards) who uses his body to protect the puck and drive the net (power forward-esque) while not being a total catastrophe without the puck, who isn't a big checker or vocal leader. That's fine he doesn't have to be a leader we have several, he has an edge but uses it at the wrong times and isn't effective when he's agitated. Doesn't happen often but it does. I'd like to see him hit more, but then again we have plenty of guys that are more effective at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If Nash developed a bit of a mean streak, he'd be an all-time great. His skill set is that good.

But he doesnt...and as a result, he doesnt seem to be as effective in physical games. Those dazzling rushes to the front of the net sure seemed more prevalent in January against Tampa Bay rather than in May against Boston.
Naturally, those dazzling plays don't tend to be as common place in the playoffs as they do in the regular season for any player. Minus the top stars in the league. I won't argue that he doesn't need to play better in the playoffs, that's a given, but to expect highlight reel goals out of him then is setting yourself up for disappointment, and that can be said about 95% of players.

He needs to learn how he can adapt as a player in the post season, hopefully he got some of that figured out this year, considering it accounted for 75% of his total playoff experience. Hopefully he continues to learn this year and the coaching staff helps him apply different tactics to his game, better suited for a tight game.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote