View Single Post
Old
09-04-2013, 06:36 PM
sergejean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
After an unfortunate ~3 months since I last sat down to read a book I went on a spree the other day and got a few I've been meaning to open up.

The Master and the Margarita by Bulgakov, Pale Fire by Nabokov and For Whom the Bells Toll by Hemingway.

I'd absolutely second A Confederacy of Dunces, it is easily the funniest book I've ever read. Most people can't stand it when the protagonist isn't likable (think: less endearing, less aware Micheal Scott from the Office. It's cringe-worthy yes, but also hilarious) but I've read the book multiple times now and it's by far my favorite novel. Catch-22 is also fantastic in so many ways - the wordplay, the symmetry, the irony - just as funny, but much deeper and timeless to boot.

I've heard so much about Pynchon (and Foster Wallace) that I think I should just dive in. After the aforementioned three, I suppose those are up next. I had a hard time with Heart of Darkness earlier in 2013, the language was thorny and dense but I found it to be very satisfying by the end. Is Pynchon similar?
Lots of excellent books! A Confederacy of Dunces was a revelation to me. One of my favorite book with Catcher in the Rye. The Master and the Margarita is also high on my list. I'm also a big fan of Charles Bukowski.

On the French Canadian side, my favourite author is Christian Mistral. If you don't know his work, I suggest you read Vamp. I also enjoy Jean-Jaques Pelletier and the whole "Les gestionnaires de l'apocalypse" serie. Definitely worth reading.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote