View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 05:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Hemmer is being a good soldier and will make 5 mil this year for his troubles. But anyone actually thinking that Hemsky is excited at the prospect of playing out of the top six and limited PP time is kidding themselves.
I don't know - might be interesting to see how his even-strength production does. Even though he'll likely have lesser linemates (Gordon+Jones/Smyth/Joensuu) than in years past - Hemsky's going to be seeing a steady amount of ESTOI (necessity of having Gordon on ice), with what's likely going to be the lowest QualComp he's faced since the 2005 lockout (1st/2nd line will command attention).

This means Hemmer will be seeing time vs bottom-pairing defensemen and less robust 2-way forward lines. He's never been one reliant on teammate puck-handling or finishing ability to rack up his points. He's at his best when he's the primary puck-handler on a line (which he will be) and he's got guys that go to dirty areas to create space and pass targets for him (Horcoff, Smyth, Penner in past). I don't see why Joensuu-Gordon-Hemsky can't be productive with the quality of competition they'll be facing.

Another thing to think about is that after RNH, the most talented PP QB on this team is Ales Hemsky. Gagner can't touch Hemsky's level of PP production, and I think Hemmer will be a key fixture on this team's PP this season (#1 while RNH is injured, #2 unit afterwards). He's going to have talent to work with even on that 2nd unit, with some combination of Gagner/Perron/Yakupov and Belov/Grebeshkov likely making up the squad.

Like Mac-T said - I think there's room for Hemsky to become a productive contributor for this team. And if later on in the season defense continues to be a primary issue, with all 3 of Ebs/Yak/Hemsky firing on all cylinders - it creates a situation where one of those high-value youngsters (Ebs/Yak) becomes expendable to bring in that true top-pairing talent.