View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 06:10 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Throwing out a hypothetical situation here:

It's the 2014 off-season, and the Oilers have had quite a few developments:
-Oscar Klefbom performs well in 3rd pairing role, starts to blossom in 2nd pairing role
-Justin Schultz establishes himself as good 2nd pairing defenseman
-Ference performs well in 2nd pairing role
-Belov performs well in 3rd pairing role
-Jeff Petry continues to be our best defenseman, holding down the right side like he did last year
-Smid-Petry play like they did last season - head barely above the water against the toughest competition in the league

Additionally, "Player X", a young emerging/established top-pairing defenseman on another team, becomes an available trade target, albeit requiring an overpay.

In terms of semantics, you're now looking at this:

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Klefbom-Belov

Because of this over-load on the left side, does this make Smid expendable?

Proposal
Smid+Nurse+2014 1st
for
"Player X" - a true top pairing defenseman in his mid-20's

I know it's a tough asset that rarely becomes available, but a frank over-pay like this might do the trick on a team looking to re-build or add depth to their roster. I think PHX might be headed in this direction quite soon (Yandle, OEL).

You're now looking at:

Player X - Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
Klefbom-Belov
Grebeshkov

We instantly upgrade that top pairing, maintain functionality on our 2nd pairing, and have a steady 3rd pairing. I think it would really transform the D. And as Ference declines into a bottom pairing role over the course of his contract (inevitable given his age) - we'll have the steady rise of Klefbom to replace him on the second pairing.

It would probably take a MAJOR overpay - I feel this is one of those times where the combined value of the "quantity" assets have to massively out-do that of the individual "quality" asset.

If this team is ready to compete within the next 2-3 seasons, it might be worth mortgaging future success of Nurse/2014 1st/Smid to get that immediate success while we still have that window within the cap. To have a guy about to enter his prime over the next 10 seasons will be key if we're going to take advantage of Hall/RNH/Eberle while they're young.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 09-05-2013 at 06:19 AM.