View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If the Oilers had wished to avoid the rebuild as the Flames have done (and others have done), it would only be easy. They did it for years previously.

People forget that the 08/09 team was in a playoff spot in the last month of the season. They choked it away. It wasn't a bottom feeder, it was a mediocre bubble team.
That was a bad team that managed to stay in the playoff race because of a couple of players that had good years (Hemsky, Horcoff to a lesser extent), a great year from Souray, and Roloson standing on his head night after night, finishing with a .915 save percentage. IIRC, that was the same year where Roli played something like 30 straight games to end the season because the team had no chance to win unless he outplayed everyone else that night. It was the same year when Cherry showed highlights of Roloson on Coach's Corner, saying something like, "This guy is doing incredible things right now, and I want you people in the East that don't get to watch the Oilers to see this."

I've always believed great goaltending can mask numerous holes on a team, and I would say the Oilers just that in 08/09. Without Roloson playing out of his mind IMO they easily would have been a lottery team that year.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote