View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I've said it earlier but I will say it again. All the accusations of Gagne sucking are greatly over-exaggerated. The guy scored at roughly a .44 PPG pace. That is more than we can realistically hope for any of the alternatives to Gagne (plus his defense is still better than the alternatives as well, despite what the all-knowing HFBoards scouts have to say). No one is expecting him to come in and score 40 goals. No one thinks he is going to (or should) get top line PP or ES minutes. No one is saying that if he gets beaten out in camp by a young guy that he should still get the job.

If Gagne is re-signed to a reasonable deal (i.e. a one year, low cap hit deal), he's our best bet. McGinn, Straka, Akeson, etc. might be better than Gagne in a year or two, but right now there is nothing to indicate that they are better this year. If Gagne gets hurt, oh well. Move on and someone steps in anyway. If he stays healthy, McGinn, Straka, Akeson, and the rest will all be there next year ready to be mediocre third liners. If someone earns the job in camp, give it to them. But you don't earn the job by having a bunch of bloggers say how good you are, and you don't lose the job by having a bunch of bloggers saying how much you suck.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote