View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
zarley zelepukin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
what do you mean to risk losing a prospect? who would they lose?

Dom Brown was just poor management, he should of been a full timer but Manuel opted to play a vet instead. But that shouldn't have anything to do with Franco imo as they are very different players.
I mean there are guys who need to be added to the 40 man roster or they'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft. I look at a guy like Aaron Altherr, who needs to be protected and his status is sort of up in the air. He's a top 20 prospect in the system, so it would stink to lose him, even if he's not a top-tier guy. But there are only so many spots to go around, and if Franco is added to the 40 man, then that's one less.

I agree that Dom wasn't handled properly, but injuries did play into his situation and anybody can get hurt. Also, I'm not sure what you mean to imply by saying they're very different players. Brown was seen as a superior prospect to Franco at the time of his call up. Franco has a very aggressive approach and a swing that some scouts feel will leave him vulnerable to major league pitching. It wouldn't be a total shock if he had some bumps adjusting to the majors.