Thread: Team toughness
View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I think having a bottom 6 including Dubinsky, Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, and Rupp had at least some impact to the success of the 2011-2012 roster. I'm not talking about goons, but what would be considered blue-collar players with the mix of forechecking, hard hitting, and board play.
Agree. The best teams have a good mix of different elements. As far as talent goes we're not going to match the Penguins. The Rangers need talent to be good but to beat a team like the Penguins they're going to have to have an edge in other areas besides overall talent. That is basically what the Bruins have done. Take the Pens two top centers Malkin and Crosby and match them against Krejci and Bergeron--there's no contest--and still the Bruins destroyed them in the playoffs--worse than what they did to us. Rangers top 2 centers are not as developed as the two Bruins but they're comparable players.

I like what we've done in the off season. We addressed the depth issue. We have a number of younger players who should be good players on the cusp as well. Size on the wing and toughness are two issues that other teams can exploit us with and they will if it works. Teams that are tougher do realize they are tougher and will use it whenever and however possible because it can give them an edge--that is the nature of competitive sport--you exploit when you have an edge.