View Single Post
Old
09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Just watched the game on PVR. I don't have too many thoughts other than what the hell was Ted Dent thinking using Byron Froese as the 5th shooter in the shootout with Drew LeBlanc, Maxim Shalunov and Pat Mullane (who scored) on the bench.

Byron Froese had a decent game, but the guy has no finish.

I thought Danault, both Broadhursts, Fournier, McNeill and Leblanc had good-solid games and FA invitee Bobby Shea really stood out to me. Outside of Fournier, he was probably Chicago's best Dman.

- Fournier can really skate. He made several rushes and seems fairly confident with the puck on his stick. He's lean though. He'll need to continue to bulk up, but I like what I saw tonight.

- Danault was Danault. He was hustling, playing well defensively and had a couple offensive chances. He doesn't do anything at a particularly high level (aside from his defensive acumen), but he does pretty much everything well.

- McNeill was strong on the forecheck, and he seemed to be the first guy to a lot of pucks and won quite a few battles. He reminds me of (Chicago's) Andrew Ladd, especially how he played on the wing.

- LeBlanc made a few good rushes. He's deceptively fast, because he doesn't take long strides, but short, powerful ones, like how a lot of kids are taught to skate without taking their skates off the ice - if that makes sense. He set up the Mullane goal, on a pretty deft pass, finding Mullane all alone in front of Toronto's net.

- Terry Broadhurst was all over the ice and he and Alex seemed to get better as the game went along. They were, fairly easily, the Hawks most consistent line. Terry scored the Hawks first goal off a quick shot from about 25 feet out, that fooled Sparks and went off the inside of his pad, along the ice, as Sparks was late getting into the butterfly. In the shootout, Alex proceeded to nearly break his ankles attempting the "Datsyuk" (copied by Giroux, Brunner, etc) move. He went crumbling to the ice, getting all kinds of twisted up, but still managed to shovel the puck over Sparks' leg as he was falling to the ice.

- Mac Carruth I thought was good. He made some big saves, but got exposed a bit in the shootout. He also got saved by the post a couple times, but in saying that, the Chicago defense was not very good in front of him for most of the game - which is to be expected, with a bunch of guys that haven't played together before.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote