View Single Post
Old
09-06-2013, 01:53 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I had heard it gives you a taste of his style without being completely impenetrable...plus it's supposedly nowhere near as dense as V or Gravity's Rainbow, and not nearly as long, so I figured it would be a good "sampler" before I tried some of his heavier stuff.
It is and it isn't. Pynchon's density and impenetrability is kind of what makes Pynchon Pynchon.

There's just crazy odd sensations you get while reading V and Gravity's Rainbow that for me were inexplicable.

Saying all this there's really no right or wrong way to go about reading Pynchon of course but 49 just isn't quite in the same league and that's not snubbing 49 at all. Very few books in general are in their league.

The reward of patiently reading and absorbing these 2 books is very very high. The ending of Gravity's Rainbow is really just one of the most mind bendingly awesome things ever.

Like I said though before, reading him slowly is really the only way to go unless you're some crazy genius. I'm a pathetically slow reader as it is. It took me like 5 times of trying to finally finish one of his books but once you get his rhythm it's not hard at all I found.

William Gaddis who some call the proto-Pynchon is amazing as well. The Recognitions is just unrelentingly brilliant. One (really simplistic) way of describing him is if Pynchon never read Naked Lunch (which I'm not a big fan of). They are different writers though.

It's just so fricking weird without it forcing it's weirdness in your face but slowly just gets weirder and weirder. If you like V and/or GR then you can definitely not go with Gaddis' Recognitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
I've tried reading 3 books by Garcia Marquez, and I just can't. I love reading, a lot. But I can't read his books. I'm physically unable to like them, and I don't know why... it saddens me because everybody talks about how amazing he is and all, but I can't.

On the other side, if you're more into thinking while you read, Kundera is amazing. I read almost all of his books, and they're amazing. Especially the ones he wrote originally in Czech (The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Life is Elsewhere, The Joke).

In french, I just finished reading "Le Ciel de Bay City" by Catherine Mavrikakis, and I gotta say, it was amazing. So smart, and so beautifully written. I highly recommend it.
Unbearable Lightness was a really good book from what I remember which is very little except there was lots of sex.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote