View Single Post
Old
09-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
That's become a lot more true recently than in the past. At one time save percentage was a good gage to how well a goaltender was playing but now I'm wondering if it's utility needs to be reassessed.
Yeah, and I am not saying that you can suck and sport a .940 sv% in the NHL.

But like, just by looking at how each goalie play you can carve out groups of 1-2/5/10/20/30 goalies in the league more or less. From year to year, some guys moves up and down in these groups. Some make big jumps and really keeps it together for a full year.

But at the end of the season when the goalies are evaluated for the Vezina, every year a diffrence of like +/- of 0.015 in sv% makes a world of diffrence. Any of the top 3 goalies -- from my subjective opinion -- are looks if they ice 0.940 but might not be top 3 if they get 0.925. Boborosky won it at .932, would he have been considered with .925?

So Sv% is a great stat that definitely tells you something. But to let a 0.07 diffrence make all the diffrence in the world when evaluating a goalie? Then I think its the one stat in the game that is misread teh most.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote