Thread: Team toughness
View Single Post
Old
09-06-2013, 03:42 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I thought the theory behind players like Colton Orr is that they act as some sort of super menacing deterrence that ensures that plays like that never happen? Colton Orr was already well established on the Rangers and around the league when that play happened. If we accept the theory of goon supremacy shouldn't Alex Ovechkin have been too terrified of retribution to ever do something like that in the first place? And, seeing as how he obviously wasn't, doesn't that kind of weaken the whole point of having a Colton Orr at all?
I don't think many people want "goon supremacy", I think most people want some sort of an ability to react to a situation in a way that will at least plant the seed that if they do something dirty, they will have to answer to someone. That player does not need to be Orr. Prust was great at it.

There is no need to sign a John Scott or Colton Orr. Those players can be ignored. The Rangers lack anyone outside of Dorsett to even try and engage a Scott Hartnell, David Clarkson, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic-like player.