View Single Post
Old
01-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Habsolution

vCash: 500
People say that Peca is a good leader but real good leaders don't hold out for a year and don't ask to be traded. Koivu showed commitment to the habs so far, Peca didn't with Buffalo. My opinion is that it's difficult for a guy to come in and become the leader of a team within the first few years of a trade or UFA signing. The player usually has to grow old with the team, earn the respect of his teamates over a certain period of time with on-ice consistency and only then assume the leadership mantle. That's how I see it.

So Koivu is head and shoulders above Peca in the offensive and leadership department IMO. Trading Koivu for Peca and giving him the C in hope to find some kind of elusive "ultimate" leadership would fail miserably. I'm convinced of that.

That being said I'm sure Peca was a great leader with the sabres. Just like Messier was a great leader with the oilers.

Now I can already hear people say Stevens but did Stevens get the C on his first day in NJ ? I have no idea but I doubt it.