View Single Post
Old
09-06-2013, 06:28 PM
SupremeTeam16

vCash: 500
Does anyone feel like the Oilers farm system needs to be addressed

It seems like the Oil Barons are a team built to win in the AHL rather then develop and graduate prospects. I know we've immediately graduated some of our recent high end prospects to the NHL but I for one would like to see some of our young players gettin a spot on the AHL instead of the ECHL or wherever else. I think we have had alot of guys in the past who are AHL vets or who's time to make an impression is at its end and I for one would rather see some of our younger prospects getting solid minutes in the AHL against tougher competition, even if it means the team isn't going deep into the playoffs year after year. After all Calder cups don't matter Stanley cups do.

I think this is especially important with Mac-t's buck shot approach to drafting this year and some of his free agent signings. You never know when a guy, who is 20-21-22, who might of been passed over a few drafts or taken in a late round or is a undrafted FA signing, might turn the page and become a great hockey player kinda like Martin St louis did. I'm not saying we're going to find a guy like that but our focus right now should be big bodied players who aren't terrifically skilled but can offer a different dimension to the game, and generally speaking bigger guys usually don't find their hands and legs until their mid twenties. I think there are lots of guys out there who could be some real gems and we need to make some space in our farm system. I know we already have alot of guys who fit the big bodied bottom 6 profile in our system but in my eyes competition is key.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote