View Single Post
Old
09-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
You've got to be kidding. How many times last night did we throw a 3-yard pass on 2nd and 10? A holdover from the Maciocia playbook.

Sams did one thing right last night, which was try to establish the run. Our O-line is so bad that they can't even open holes for off-tackle runs, so we were forced to overuse mis-direction counters, which worked early but got snuffed out repeatedly after the Stamps adjusted.

With Bowman back in the lineup and the way Henry has been playing, this team should have been running underneath crossing routes and quick hitters into the slot. I saw very few. Far too many deep patters, which are entirely useless when your QB gets one steamboat before he's under siege. Henry and Bowman are both possession receivers, and Bowman is a great downfield blocker. We didn't utilize their abilities nearly enough.

As for wondering why Coehoorn is constantly on the field, I suspect the answer is having three imports on the O-line. I don't know exactly how the import rules work with subbing in different offensive packages in the middle of the game, but given that Coehoorn and Chambers were both out there on pretty much every play, I assume it was out of necessity due to Rottier being replaced with an American.
If the D played all season like it did last night, and Howard played all season like last night we'd have half a dozen wins.

The offense hasn't been the problem on this club. Nor have the schemes. Last night execution was a major problem. Really a bad game from Reilly who missthrew more passes than he delivered. Between that and him calling his own number repeatedly was kinda brutal. One could almost see Reilly trying to do it all on his own which is not how it works in team sports. Half the reason Stamps, Bowman, Henry weren't used ideally is the amount of times Reilly decided to run with it or run right into sacks.

Reilly never got into any kind of rhythm last night. Was plain lousy at his reads as well. Eskimos have two more TD's last night if he was looking at Fred Stamps much.

Sometimes the team needs to throw Crompton in for a couple of drives to get Reilly calmed down. I really think he gets hyped up a little too much and on some drives its like he's the QB. RB, and whole offense. Which is not a proper use of his offensive unit.