View Single Post
Old
09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a fine line in sports between believing in yourself and not. One gets the feeling if this club ever could win a game they would win a few in a row. Or more.

Its a horrible funk which as I stated several posts back makes even good players look not so good. The pressure gets in peoples head and they overperform, drop balls, jump plays, lose contain.

With Calgary its night and day. Didn't have to do much, just limit mistakes (which they made several anyway) and do enough to Win. It was a strange game and the result having more to do with momentum than anything.

Heres the deal. On a good confident club Paredes kicked 5 in a row and never even looked like missing. On the other hand O Neill, who is just as good flat out misses 2 because he has the pressure of playing on a club that can't afford to make mistakes.

It gets in your head when you are part of a team facing this kind of nosedive.

The cure is to blow a club right out of the ballpark. A game that you win by 3 or 4 TD's. Thats the type of game this team needs. When every player up and down the lineup is flying around making plays and playing agressive. When you're in a losing streak a whole lot of tentative creeps into the play.

I'll say this, theres nothing wrong with Sams as offensive coordinator. He's devised schemes that are working virtually all the time. The execution hasn't been there.
Really? I couldn't disagree more. The amount of type plays called with a 5 yard out when we need 12 are too many to list. Most of Mike Reilly's success at running is when he's escaping the rush and fleeing for his life. Too many successful pass plays have been as a result of our receivers making tremendous catches in traffic or an opposition player falling down. I've hardly ever seen a play this year where our receivers are not covered like a blanket due to unimaginative play calling. Last game, for example, they called a simple out to White which was successful the first time. It became less and less successful each time they went back to the well and tried it, until finally it went for a loss or was broken up. There were no other plays made based off of that play and no adjustments. Since he's been called out on our short yardage fiasco, we are 1 for 1. A small sample size for sure, but the continual predictable and useless Kerry Joseph sweeps were getting too much even for our normally tight lipped GM. And for one night at least, we did the proper thing and bull dozed the ball in, like every other team does.

And as has been stated, much of what limited success we've had, has come when Reilly started calling his own plays. That is a pretty damming situation for an OC that you think is wonderful.