View Single Post
Old
09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
The stars ahead of them are very important, of course. No one is arguing that point. What I am arguing is that this team is lacking the ability to stand up for itself by way of dropping the gloves.

Obviously it can't be quantified. I consider it a part of the game today and it has been proven by quite a few teams who play on the edge and win games.
It's not even about dropping the gloves, and that idea is fuel for the people who really believe toughness isn't important.

What we lack is the ability to give and take the hits that matter, and bounce right back. It's not the NHL of the 90s where you've got Proberts and Domis. Conversely, it isn't as open and graceful--it's played in the corner, against 18 other athletic freaks of nature. You MUST be able to battle them, or have ELITE skill and float outside.

Fighting, as much as I like a good fight, is becoming an extension of the game, and they're trying to phase it out. Sadly, I think it will be history in say 10 years.

We need to realize that small, fast guys with tons of drive will necessarily lose to big, fast guys with just as much determination. Goons with a tiny bit of ability (Haley, Mashinter, etc.) will not counter guys like Lucic, Franzen, Staal, Neal, Malkin. Clowe maybe, 'cause he's slower than ****.