View Single Post
Old
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
maybe it doesn't matter in the big picture, but you have to admit it would better if our rookies didn't get schooled by the rookies of 2 divisional teams and another conference rival. as of today, Jets/Flames/Nucks rookies look much better than ours. in order for that to change, ours must improve more than theirs.

you can't refute that they didn't look very good, and that it isn't disappointing.

take away from this? Nurse is at least 5 years away from being a 20+ minute eating top 4 D-horse (possibly 7 and don't be surprised if he is traded before then).

Klefa is probably a year away. Marincin is ahead of him.

I am no more confident in any of our forward prospects. still a crap shoot if Ewanyk, Kaira, et al can ever be players.
These things were all true prior to this exhibition tournament. The point some are trying to make is that this tournament has no bearing on the NHL future of these kids whatsoever.
What it did was get these kids into game shape after a long offseason, nothing more.
IMO, Yakupov looked very subpar in a bunch of those exhibition tournaments and in the much more meaningful WJC tournament yet he turned out fine. I know that #1 picks are set to a different standard but i think you get the point.

It was pretty well known pre-tourney (from anybody who was being realistic) that Klefbom wouldn't be ready for NHL action right away after a full calendar year of not playing competitive hockey coming off of an injury and having never played a season on North American ice and Nurse is a project who was an upside pick moreso than a safe pick. 5 years might be a bit of a stretch but at the very least, it should be 3 years until Nurse is ready for full time NHL action and that's just fine, no need to rush him.
The forwards are all longshots. Any non-1st round pick is a longshot so this tournament didn't change that fact.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote