View Single Post
Old
09-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Yeah, I also view him as basically the prototype for top line center.

Like, I'm sure if you asked a GM to give a vague description of what they want their first line center to be (other than cheeky responses like "Wayne Gretzky"), most would want him to be a big, rangy, intelligent two-way guy who could skate, pass and shoot.
This is what steers me towards Beliveau too despite Hull having a slightly better regular season offensive resume on paper.

For the people drafting a player to start a team, I'd definitely pick Beliveau aside from the idea that Hull's electrifying style would fill more seats. Beliveau meshed with so many different players and would elevate lesser players. Hull would still score, but I don't think he'd make a lesser player seem better the way Beliveau would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Beliveau made his teammates better. Hull didn’t. This is far fetched. IMO it is the opposite. You could argue that Beliveau’s teammates made him better. It had to help him to step into the NHL as a mature player and immediately be teamed up with star players like Geoffrion, Moore, Olmstead etc. Meanwhile, Hull was playing on a lines with the likes of Murray Balfour, Red Hay, Chico Maki, Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson. All of whom had the best years of their careers playing on a line with Hull. I would also argue that Hull made Espo a better player. Espo had a difficult time making the Hawks and was floundering until they put him on the Hull line in his first full season. Guess what, Espo finished top 10 in scoring.
What about guys like Gilles Tremblay, Marcel Bonin, John Ferguson, or Bobby Rousseau?

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 09-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote