View Single Post
Old
09-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
i agree with a lot of the things you're saying, but i simply believe that those two years of Gillis standing pat on the value he wanted for Luongo killed the teams' morale.

he's clearly done a lot of good things, but he created a media monster over the goalie situation and you could tell it messed with the players' heads. the Canucks are/were built to go deep into the playoffs and they've only managed to win one playoff game since they lost Game 7.
Where did the team's morale die? Everyone seemed onboard with the choice to wait, and both Schneider and Luongo were pillars of the community and provided valuable leadership. Yeah, morales probably a little lower with the Schneider move, but it's due to an important part of our team being moved, not due to having both play for the Canucks.

Darth Milbury wanted us to focus on how they've navigated the cap restrictions with trades, signings and these sorts of deals. Our media here has created a media monster because there was so little to report on during the lock out and post season (both prior to the lock out and the aftermath). That's not the way the team, or most of the fan base, are feeling post-Schneider.

We have a hang over, but even that one win has been better then other teams who have lacked success after a cup final appearance (win or loss). It's hardly unique, and frankly, with both teams that eliminated us early, I have no problem saying they simply wanted it more. LA was on fire, and San Jose had our number after we eliminated them in the conference finals the year of our cup run. San Jose wanted revenge for that slight, and we just viewed another opponent. That is coaching more then strictly management, and that was dealt with. Even if it is a temporary point until we see Tortorella's team in action, that's still a point on the black side of the ledger for Gillis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i think murray will prove to be a better "low payroll" GM. He just seems to make stupid UFA decisions when he has money to spend, like fedorov in anaheim and kovalev in ottawa.

hmm... maybe he should just stop signing over-the-hill russians.
He and Poile are nutty with dealing with a lower cap situation. I'd go as far as to say Maloney too all things considered. But different extremes.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote