View Single Post
Old
01-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Sampe

vCash: 500
Now that I've (only) seen the first three games of the '72 series, I must say that the early 70's players would get killed in today's NHL. Equipment, speed, strength, skill, tactics...the game has developed enormously over the decades in just about every possible way - except for maybe entertainment wise. The amount of mistakes that the players made in that era was just incredible (especially considering all the time they had with the puck), not to mention the awkward techniques that the goalies had. No wonder Bobby Orr was so dominant back then! I would have loved to see him play in the series and I guess I'm not the only one...

That said, I've enjoyed to watch the games a lot. Attacking hockey, lots of scoring chances, lots of great individual efforts etc. And I'm not saying that the players were less talented, in fact I think many of the early 70's players had a lot more potential than what they managed to show on the ice (take Kharlamov for example...some of the plays he made were jaw-dropping, and some of them were just plain stupid. Less dipsy-doodling, and he could've destroyed Canada almost by himself). But today's players are just so much better trained that IMO, any current NHL team could have done well against either of the '72 teams.

And obviously, I can't comment on the late 70's/early 80's level of play at all.

And btw, anyone know where I could get the Canada Cup '87 videos/DVD's? Is it even possible?