View Single Post
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Lay Z Boy GM
vCash: 500
Flames fans are doing what we did about 3-4 years ago. They're getting way too excited about B level prospects. Where are guys like Plante, Teubert, Pouliot, Schremp, Pitlick, Hamilton, etc? They looked good when they were just prospects, but they didn't amount to anything. I have a feeling this will happen to most of the current Flames prospects. If you consider our rebuild to have started when we drafted Hall, you have to remember we already had Gagner, Eberle, Petry, etc. The only guy the Flames have that is comparable to those guys is Sven.

The Flames are the worst team in the league on paper right now, so I'm pretty sure they'll have a good shot at drafting guys like Reinhart/Ekblad and McDavid next year. That's when their foundation will be set, and there's loads of work to do after that. You don't just take off once you draft the talent, we're a prime example of that. You have to develop these players, which can take YEARS, then you have to assemble the right supporting cast for those core players, which might never happen depending on the ability of your GM. Flames are probably 5 years away from the playoffs. Best case scenario they're 2-3 years away, but that's overly optimistic in my opinion.

Whatever though, this is what happens in rebuilds. They'll overhype their B level prospects just like we used to do. Then in 2-3 years time they'll look back and laugh at their lofty expectations for players that will end up in the ECHL.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote