View Single Post
Old
09-11-2013, 12:45 AM
KingCanadain1976

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
All I'm saying is the NHL hasn't publicly supported the idea. As I said in the very post you quoted, "you know the idea has crossed their mind." The fact they haven't ever come out and suggested the idea shows they don't support it as a whole. The fact shootouts, four-on-four and loser points were deemed a better idea speaks volumes.

Unless I'm missing something, OT has never been more than five minutes since the league expanded from the original six teams.

And adding a player per team? It's not that simple. Are you fitting that under the cap, or you expanding the cap? If you're expanding the cap, you'll be raising the cap floor too. Raising the cap ceiling and floor can have huge impacts on teams.

Things aren't so simple as you imply. If they were, this would have been done already. Playing five-on-five is the natural solution, so the fact it hasn't been implimented after all these years and so many changes to OT over the decades implies there is a real concern with it.
The reason that it wasnt consider imo is the league thinks the shootout and loser points is more in tune for the nhl public. Lets face it defensive hockey doesn't sell. Goals are sexy and shootouts are the nhl version of sex sorta as they garente a quicker ending in most cases. The nhl thinks this is better for tv and as much as i hate to say it it is better for most of the younger american public as they don't have the patience level (ok maybe im overstating the general public of the states but im close. )

As i stated before there was a issue due to travel commitment in the original 6 Most of the travel was done by train. There was also things like curfews for town I belive you couldnt have any game go past midnight (at least i remember being told this by my uncle when i was a kid) due to issues with churches or something like that Trains we also public transportation back then so they had to stick to schedules. Now a days we dont have to relie as much on public planes as there are private ones they can charter.

If you add a player the cap and floor would go up thats nothing to figure out as it raises and this year fall every year not a big detail to work out to me. With 6 outdoor games this year you know its going up for sure next year.

3on 3 would also be hard imo to get the nhl to agree to As its cutting down on the number of actual players on the ice. Its not hockey to me then its more of a pond game. sorry just the way i feel .

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote