View Single Post
Old
09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Stepan Razor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I'm posting misleading info? The only reason Dempsey forced his way out of Tottenham is because with all of their new signings this year, he wasn't going to see ANY playing time at all.

He is 30 years old and while still an important cog on the USMNT he is on the backend of his career. Donovan spent more time in the US and is the greatest of all time, but he was still overseas for some of his prime years.

---

I'm sorry, but i'm not going to become fully invested in a league that can't even hold onto US star players, let alone attract international players who are still at the top of their game. Why watch the AHL when i can have the NHL. I want to see the best compete with the best. The majority of MLS players are subpar. Watching Messi, Ronaldo, V. Persie, Rooney, Ozil, Lampard, Gerrard, etc is just much more appealing to a fan of the game.

Beckham, Henry, etc all came here for an end of their career payday. Same thing that Dempsey is doing. He got pushed out of the EPL and got a payday here that is larger than most of the guys on Manchester United.

And no, I don't blame nor expect the MLS to catch up to the popularity of the EPL overnight. But that wasn't my argument. My argument is that the MLS is nowhere near competing with the NFL as the major US sport.

And as of now, it's absolutely laughable to think that it can compete within the next ten years.
- Dempsey returning to MLS had as much to do with the WC next year as his inability to get along with AVB

- 20 years ago there were 6 teams, and now the league is about to have 20 teams. This is a (quickly) growing league that is trying to compete out of a niche market, and is doing a very good job at it. Asking for the MLS to surpass any of the big 4 leagues in the next 10 years is a bit of a stretch, let alone one of the biggest industries in the United States (NFL/fantasy football/gambling).