View Single Post
Old
09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
That's junior hockey though. For me, having star players like Lowry, Rielly etc play their entire careers in one spot is special and often necessary. It builds culture and legacy. For me, that is necessary to be seen as a strong franchise.

Sure, they could have got a boatload for a guy like Lowry last year, but you have to show confidence in your scouting staff. Have confidence that you can continue to be a good team, without trading guys like that to help stock the cupboard.

There are obviously different circumstances. Eberle in Regina is a good example of a situation that should have been handled differently. They were an awful team with him. They could have sped up their rebuild by two years just by dealing him.

In Swift Current's case last year, they were still a playoff team. For a franchise like that, just getting into the playoffs is HUGE. It can be the difference between losing $50,000-$100,000 and breaking even or turning a slight profit.
For me I compare this more to Eberle/Regina than Swift Current/Lowry.

What legacy is Moose Jaw retaining by not flipping Rielly at the deadline? I don't know the east that well, but I don't see Moose Jaw being a Rielly away from a Chynoweth. Not for a second really, so is legacy more important than building for a championship in the future? I don't know why moving a player like this for high picks and top prospects and good young WHLers shows a lack of confidence in the scouting staff. I think it gives the scouting staff a dangling carrot myself.

It's true decisions like this and treadmill teams are the nature of Junior hockey, but there has to be a point where somebody bucks that trend.

The price for Rielly would be huge, just look what Edmundsen went for. Build around your 96's.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote