View Single Post
Old
09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I agree with you, but was Penner really not in shape? He just didn't use his size as we wanted him to. As quoted, it's "not in his DNA".

Just saying, we can want all we want, but how much more energy can we squeeze out of these guys? It seems the whole, "in shape" thing is dominating the headlines here.
We should be talking about the organizations mental compete level. I want to see our guys playing damn hard, finishing bodychecks, forechecking and not giving up on plays. Is the reason they are easy to play against relative to their fitness?
Fitness is step one to bringing a mental compete level. Once the players get that they need to stay fit, they will realize that they can do more than they did before which increases their confidence level. Then once the confidence level kicks in, the mental compete level will come right behind it. I remember when I started working out, I was surprised how little pushups I could do. Once I kept pushing myself harder and harder, I gained more confidence and gained a more competitive edge.