View Single Post
Old
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Two Factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Oh?. My memory must be hazy as I seem to recall otherwise though I do also remember seeing Henri Richard out there as well. Hull would double shift, triple shift sometimes, and for some strange reason in my minds eye I do remember seeing Mahovlich at Centre with Houle & Ferguson. Maybe MacNeil was doubling Houle & switching things up?... no matter really, minor point, Reggie did a heck of a nice job of it. The big thing with Hull beyond his speed & strength was his stamina. Particularly as you consider back then a shift could be what, 2 minutes or so? Took a 20yr old to even try & keep up with a then 36yr old Hull and at that Houle going flat out & nearly exhausted.
Two factors.

On the small rinks - Boston and Chicago, Canadiens liked to play Pete Mahovlich and Richard together since they would work the RHS/LHS advantage to create turnovers - see game two vs Boston and the turn around goal making the score 5-2 and starting the comeback.

With Hull playing extra shifts in the SC Final, he was playing with different centers and different defense pairings. So if quickness was needed it would be Richard, spelled by Lemaire. size and it would be Pete Mahovlich or Beliveau. Also Pete Mahovlich had a history of knee problems so his shifts were a bit shorter.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote