View Single Post
Old
09-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
Looking to buy my first ice hockey stick. If I hold my right hand at the bottom of the shaft, and my left hand at the top of the knob, do I need a right handed or left handed stick? (I'm right handed) I know it seems like a damn obvious answer (right handed get the right handed stick), but before I spend the money on a stick I want a straight answer x.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Then you will shoot right.

Just think of which side of your body the puck would be on naturally. Left side, left shot. Right side, right shot.

Some food for thought, if you are about to learn anyways from step 0, and are right handed, then maybe consider having your right hand on top. It may take a bit longer to learn shooting, but stick handling will come more naturally.

Your top hand is actually the one that does most of the stick/puck control. The bottom hand is more about just supporting the stick and applying force for shots, which doesn't require alot of dexterity.

I'm right handed, shoot right, so dominant hand down on the stick. And I'm assbackwards. Kinna wish I learned the other way for better puck control, but too late to turn back now.
I'm right-handed and glad I stuck with shooting left. It's kinda frustrating in the beginning as your shot sucks, but persevere, gain some strength and learn good technique and I think it's worth the trade-off, especially if you're just starting out. Stickhandling is just so much easier with your dominant hand.

Playing lefty now feels absolutely natural, despite the fact I'm right-whatever in pretty much every other sport, and my shot is gradually improving to the point where I probably couldn't shoot as well with a right-handed stick. If you find you can't get a lot of strength in your shot initially, go for a lower flex or intermediate stick instead.

Sureshotte is online now   Reply With Quote