View Single Post
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
you do realize that the current Stanley Cup champs signed vertans last year to compliment their core who became invaluable and played much bigger roles in the cup finals. If fans are scared of older more experienced players then they should stick to watching the AHL.
Drewiskie, Bouillon, Murray and Briere are washed up old nobodies. We have a playoff core but instead of trading some of the extra depth for some higher-end talent we keep spinning our wheels with mediocre-at-best players. That's my point.

I'm not saying throw the youth to the wolves, I'm saying that some rational, positive and creative team-building was required and we didn't get nearly enough of that with Gainey or Gauthier or Bergevin now.

Emelin and Diaz were great pick-ups, I'm talking about things like that. Finding valuable assets where we haven't looked yet. Trading for Drewiskie, signing Bouillon and so on are just the opposite of that. They're not only retreads but they're marginal players on a team that lacks both toughness and talent.

Our topline going into the season is Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere. Is that a Stanley Cup winning top line? Do the Habs, the Forum Ghosts or the innumerable number of Habs fans deserve that as a top line?

Sure it's better than the Zednik - Koivu - old leather shoe combo of yesteryear but it's still not good enough. And it's been long enough, dammit.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote