Thread: Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
We all know the main reason they are so far ahead of everyone else is because they have the luxury of college sports scholarships. It's the same for women's football/soccer, USA and Canada are the best in the world despite overall not being big football/soccer countries. Most of the hockey girls here don't take it very seriously because they know there are few opportunities for them in the sport, so they just play for a laugh and aren't motivated to get in top shape or get better. Whereas the girls in Canada and USA work hard so they can get that college scholarship and then when they get to college they're in a quality setup.
I don't think there's 1 Canadian University/College that gives out scholarships for Women's Hockey. I live in an area in Canada that doesn't have a very high population or produce many quality male hockey players (A couple NHL stars and maybe 5 depth players throughout the entire province) and yet I can name about 5-10 women who have huge futures in Women's Hockey from this area .

Also when I was playing hockey as a kid, there was 3 girls in our age group in the entire area (10 different organizations) and they all had to play with the boys. Now they have girls teams starting from age 5 going all the way up to Midget which was unimaginable 10 years ago.

The reason for the growth is because of the National Program doing their grunt work. They spent a lot of time and effort promoting girls hockey, putting programs in place for girls to develop & succeed. They also put together national development camps that start with scouts identifying top end girls from across the country, getting them together in 1 location, showing them what they need to do to get to the next level, introducing them to resources you can't get everywhere in the country, and preparing them to represent the country at some point in their lives.

I'm sure you'll say "well it's Canada, they take to hockey!" but honestly if there was a women's hockey forum 10 years ago, the negative nancy's would have been similar to THF but the right people got involved, saw the potential, and did the work nobody else wanted to do themselves.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote