View Single Post
Old
11-19-2006, 10:28 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I won't debaye you on #11's merits. I admire the guy on a human level, and on a hockey level, despite obstacles, he's always found a way to get the best out of himself. We can define and argue but it doesn't change much.

One thing in your post made me want to comment though. I have a rough idea of your age, I believe you saw Henri Richard play, wouldn't you say there are many similarities between #11 and #16 ? Both were undersized players that were driven by intense pride. Both had tempers on the ice and wouldn't back down from any situation. The difference is the surrounding cast. Personally, I don't see #11 being raised to the rafters, though it has no effect on my opinion of him, #16 accomplished much more. Not even close, when you look at Henri's rings, but there are a lot of similarities. I'd love to ask him if he's ever thought that watching Koivu play.
I agree with you about Henry Richard . He was a true warrior , but not a player that was dominating the game as the other ones . For sure , Henry's rings have a lot to do with the fact that he has his jersey retired .

I also like the link you make ; it's true that there are similarities with his game and the one of Saku .

Richard was with the right team at the right moment , and that's why his career was so bright . But honestly , when they retired his jersey , i was thinking that Henry was reward a bit in the name of all the Habs cores that won those 8 cups .As a symbole of those wining teams . And for his 20 years career with the Habs .

Saku was with the bad team at a wrong moment for the big part of his career . He's more link to the " dark period of the Habs " .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote