Thread: Beginners: Playing Wing on Olympic Ice:
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2013, 01:38 PM
howeaboutthat

vCash: 500
I have the opposite problem, being a winger who plays and trains on Olympic-sized ice week in, week out.

I was over in NA last month and managed to grab a few pick up games on NHL-sized pads and whilst (having learnt to play on big ice) I felt very fast, once settled in the offensive zone trying to cycle the puck I felt quite constricted.

Playing in a checking rec league, where many opposition teams have smaller home ice (there are some tiny, non-standard rinks in the UK) we find that when they come to our ice they often seem to get a little lost in the neutral zone, playing either very narrow and passing the puck into each others heels on the break-out or over compensating and playing very wide but shallow, not pushing a man far enough forward to put move the puck forward quickly, meaning they can run out of gas before the offensive blue line.

It is amazing how used to certain angles you get training and playing on your own ice and how difficult it can be adjusting to smaller/larger pads.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote