View Single Post
09-15-2013, 11:50 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nice rundown. Thanks. I follow what you wrote but it still seems odd that the Esks after everything is said and done scrimmage at least 10yds back of where the original infraction occurred (The Bomber interfering.) I don't have it PVR'ed but that was way up field from where the Esks ended up with the ball. How could the penalties not just be offsetting in terms of yds? The Esks should have scrimmaged around Center field at worst.

Next, while I was watching the telecast I replayed the play several times and saw no indication of Howard interfering with anybody. I didn't while watching the game either. I don't know that he did anything more than incidentally touch somebody in what was a mutual pursuit for the free ball. Lets be clear here. The bomber got the penalty because he was flagrantly skidooing off the eskimo. I'm still wondering what Howard got flagged for a day later. This was a judgement call that negated a brilliant play.

As far as the kick it was a great play because the ball was kicked well, 40yds, he got all of it, and if it goes out ob bounds its our ball, at worst if it goes back its anybodies ball in poor field position which was more important at that stage of the game then possession.

Finally, lets not forget that if the Eskimo didn't kick the ball, and a Bomber decided to grab it and run with it, or lateral or pass it, whatever, the Bombers could still have got a first down on a broken play. The potential is always there in the wacky CFL for something like that to occur and I've seen things like that happen against the Esks too many times. With the Esks in the lead by a few scores it was big to get the ball downfield at that point through whatever means.
Howard knocked a Bomber over while he was in pursuit of the loose ball. It was a legit call; it wasn't incidental contact.
And there were two separate flags thrown on the play, at different times and at different points on the field. These were not "offsetting" calls that happened at the same time.