Old
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
While you can never be sure what will happen the rest of the way this year and over the summer, my general impression from watching O'Byrne is that he can really benefit from another year in the AHL after this one. If you pushed him ahead next season, I do think he'd basically look something like Komisarek in his first couple of years with the Habs, playing part time, very low minutes, not really imposing himself at all. And while there's nothing entirely wrong with that per se, I just don't think we'll need to do it.

Let's also recall that Komisarek was pretty much an AHL All-Star calibre defenseman with some decent scoring totals right from the get-go in the AHL. O'Byrne is not going to generate any numbers worth speaking of in the AHL this year. He moves well for his size and will become more proficient at playing the defensive end throughout this season as he progresses, but I'd say from what I saw in Cornell last year that he does have some ability to carry the puck and play the point game too, and I'd rather see him spend all the time in the AHL he needs to get comfortable first with his D game and then to start branching out to work on his offense too, while playing bigger minutes, and that's going to be a process best-served with 2, maybe even 3 years in the minors. (Unless he really forces the issue, of course).
What I really like is that Emelin and Obyrne, White and Carle can skate. Rivet and Souray are not all that quick.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote