Thread: Post-Game Talk: Devils 2 Rangers 1 [9/16/2013]
View Single Post
Old
09-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Here is the issue: With Del Z on the right side, he is the main shooter. However, he isn't a natural shooter. Staal has a heavier shot. so you would want him as the triggerman on his off position. If your trying to set up one timers you want your players on their off wings. To maximize shooting from your points, you want a righty on your left and lefty on the right. You can give and go from the points WAY easier for one timers because you have two shooters ready to go. Defenders can't stack one point when there are two options

Rangers obviously can't do that, which is why I said it was shame. But, its even more problematic with Del Z on the right side because he is a natural playmaker that should be setting up Staal for a shot. But. if they want to shoot one timers they have to shift the points. That gives defenders plenty of time to adjust. This is relevant if the Staal/Del Z pairing is trying to maximize offense from the blueline. It makes a difference.

It doesn't make that much of a difference defensively that both guys are lefties because they are set up better for defensive coverage. A lefty playing the left side is maximizing his defense.
In response to your first paragraph, we're talking about even strength here. Maybe on the power-play you would want both a righty and lefty playing on their off wings... but not at even strength where you'll be focusing on defense a lot more. You're going to want at least one guy playing his strong side at even strength.

If you were talking about power-play situations (in which a combo of DZ and Staal would probably never happen) then I misunderstood. But I can't see it ever being smart to have a righty and lefty both playing their off-wings at even strength.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote